Traduire/Traducir

Tuesday, May 28

France - Post 6 - Metro life


Hey everyone!

First I want to just say happy 21st birthday again to my Michigander Caitlyn Fitzgerald (yesterdat)! And to a night well spent!


Back to the blog...

            So I’ve finally decided a layout for my blog posts; I will choose one or two topics and just talk about those. I’ll be doing it this way in order that I can spend less time on a single post and just get all the experiences up on here in multiple posts. That being said, my posts are going to be subsequently shorter but there will be more of them. If I decide to write longer ones, I will. The blogs may not even being connected like this one isn't with the previous (sorry) but I will be writing about what I promised just not in this post. Anyways, on to the topic of this post: Metros, the problems the pose to us, & how I’ve dealt with these.

            For the people who haven’t left the country but have been to big cities like NYC, most of this you may already know especially if you’re a brought up city kid/person. I will go by mentioning things that people who are not accustomed to the city life should expect and then my ways of dealing with them here in France. First of all, it is much faster: The majority of people walks faster & will remain in their own world by keeping a set of headphones on.
Second, there are lots beggars and vagrants some of which not only sit around with a sign asking for money and others who will get directly on the trains or buses and personally go up to each person and ask for money. I advise and have also been advised to not give these people money. I’m not implying to be stingy, however. The fact of the matter is that yes, some of these people are legitimately homeless and need the money but on the other hand, a good handful are not even from here or in true need of that money. To relate to another aspect of city life of which you will need to be aware, thieves, these “beggars” work within a network and come from other countries trying to make money. Thieves, as I only briefly mentioned, work in the same way but with little kids as their tool to turn you into a defenseless patsy since they work well with their small hands and cannot be legally put into jail.
Third, don’t get too close to the walls unless you want your nasal cavities bombarded with the unpleasant smell of urine.
Fourth, if you want to not look so much like a foreigner, here are a couple things I’ve done to blend in; Always look like you know where you are going even though you won’t upon your first visit, toss on a scarf (girls AND guys) and a cardigan or blazer with some cords for more conservative/business casual look and tights for women while avoiding flip flops, short skirts, and hoodies. Remember, this is just from what I’ve personally seen and experienced so I’m allowed to make a generalization but this does not mean I do not see people wearing the latter clothing, I just see in much, much less in comparison to the former several.
And finally, I will end the post with a metro story and one situation where it is impossible to be picked out as a foreigner: Speech. So yesterday evening, as I am passing through the ticket gates and walking down the stairs to the platform, I notice some type of security with C.S.A. marked on the jackets asking the people passing through for something. I get there and they ask me also. Since there was a term for the procedure that would only be known to native French speakers or possibly only people who live in Paris, when I asked what was going on I did not and could not completely understand the two word response. Upon asking again I was repeated the same information as if I had a hearing problem and not a language problem. After still not understanding what was going on, I was pull aside by three people and demanded to pay some €45 fee. I did my best to complain and the only English any of them knew was the word for “ticket.” Being the nervous wreck I am and having the past not-so-pleasant experiences with authority figures, I panic and start to freeze up. I gave them another fresh ticket from my 10-pk and explained that when I went through the gate I had thrown away my ticket in the garbage since I didn’t need it anymore but they wanted THAT particular ticket or my NaviGo pass (a rechargeable card used by frequent train goers, mine having been recently bought and only filled for the month of June and, thus, left at home). I somehow got them to lower the fee to €30 and when I asked what would happen if I didn’t have the money, they said I’d have to pay €60. Apart from being in a state of panic, this particular evening I didn’t have my documents on me and so I didn’t argue as much as I normally would have for fear of being detained and only God knows what else. Their purpose was not only to catch people who were jumping the gate because if it were, they would be positioned closer to the gate, but also to suck money out of people who don’t know of this procedure and still use the paper tickets instead of a card since there are conveniently placed trashcans between the platform and gate. This is a form of corruption where people who have power will abuse it when the risks are low and benefits are high. There is a point and a moral to my story: Always have copies of your documents so you can fight the system when they try to steal from you, always ask for complete clarification like I tried to do so that you fully understand what is going before you submit to anything, and as the saying goes, when in Rome, do as the Romans do and try not to stick out when away from home because you can get targeted “legally” and illegally.

Thanks for reading and check out my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment