Traduire/Traducir

Wednesday, July 10

France - Post 20 - No CPU

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say yay for having published my 20th post which may not seem like a big thing to many but for me, being someone who has never liked writing or reading too dearly, it is an accomplishment. Think about it, 20 posts some abridged to one page or less and other reaching to around 4 pages and if we give an average 2-3 pages for each, that’s around 50 pages of freestyle writing about my particular French experiences abroad.
Also, I have never really been too good at keeping deep contact with many people at once so establishing one source from which all the people to whom I would normally, in person, retell my adventures is really nice for me. It also gives me one space where I can respond to the thoughts, comments, and suggestions of my fellow readers instead of being all cluttered between several social networks and email addresses.

I am now in my last three weeks of my internship. After my I finish my internship I am off to Serbia to attend one of my best high school friend’s, formerly Evita Sonner and now Evita Jovic, 3rd wedding (Same person just different locations with different groups of people. Next week I am off to Barcelona, Spain for 5 days with my bulgarian friend and one of her friends. For both of these big trips I will not hesitate at all to take lots of pictures and post the best of the best on here with full stories.
Here, July is when summer vacation starts for schools which means my hours change as do my responsibilities. The whole atmosphere is actually changed. The other interns with whom I was working, (Ibn, Foussenou, Maura), are also now in vacation. I believed I had mentioned at one point that the internship was required by their schools just as community service is more commonly required by US universities like Wittenberg. Now there is a new group of interns working with me, two girls and three other guys. The youngest is 15. We had our first meeting together last Thursday and started going over rules and ways to use common sense to keep the children out of danger. We are doing these workshops now because during the vacation month, we will be chaperoning many field trips for them and need to know basic safety guidelines and how to always be in control of the situation even if we aren’t. We did some readings and split up into groups to make presentations on the first day and were sent home with further online reading. Some of the situations included where each chaperone should be seated or standing when in a car, minibus, or the metro, rules for going into the pool for beach trips, how to handle different types of situations, etc.

I won’t be participating in all the field trips but we are going tomorrow (Th. July 11) to La piscine à vagues, de base loisir de créteil. Below are 2 sites giving a bit of info about it. If I’m not mistaken I think it is a waterpark.

There is a field trip every day until even after I am gone but I will not be going on all of them. My main job now is to go with other interns and workers to the gymnasium and organize sports and games. All the kids of the neighborhood are signed up to have access to this but not all actually show up. Even less will show up due to the beginning of Ramadan. For those of you who don’t know, I guess it’s a type of fasting only during the day that lasts a month long. It is from 3:40h-22h here. I can’t explain much more because I’ve had it explain to me just that way and not the entire history and reasoning behind it. I should also mention that it is for the muslim people and not the entire France although there is a big muslim population.
I work not from 9am-1pm, an hour break, then 2pm-5pm. I will go into more detail later but I am without a computer currently and so I don't know how pictures will be.

On another note I wanted to mentioned a way to pick out where the street markets can be found. Many of the formal places can be picked out because there is a very typical look to them even when they are not running. You will see rows of metal poles in the form of boxes normally connect in some manner with a blue tarp rolled up and pushed over to one side on the top of each one. I am not sure how many of these have recognized names that differ from the streets where they can be found but if you do as much wandering and walking as I do, you will start seeing here these are and it is nice to make a mental note of street corners and landmarks to be able to look them up later if you don’t currently have the time to just walk through. The ones that I’ve noted fall on the Rue Ordener and I can’t remember landmarks but it was going through the Line 12 Jules stop. Another big one is starts at the back entrance of Line 4 stop Barbés-Rochechouart. Since I get off at that stop every day I can tell you that the market is open all day wednesday from sunrise to evening. The ones that I’ve walked by just by chance seem more fruit/meats/fish oriented by there’s always been other nick nacks from shoes, undergarments, kitchen utensils and even toys. One thing I noticed at the Barbés market is that you can find decent formal and semi-formal clothes like a button-up collar shirt for 5€ and dress shoes for 15-20€. Now, I can’t vouch for quality but I can say that they look just as good as the store bought ones.
There are even informal markets where people don’t have stands or anything. One is in the exact same area on the same stretch of pavement. People will lay out there things on pieces of clothes and most of it are smaller items like batteries and there is a much smaller array of options.

Thanks for reading and until next post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment